John & Robert Harvey Ltd of Glasgow who also owned the city’s Dundashill distillery. Harvey’s Special blended Scotch whisky originally came in a dark bottle with an oval label that sometimes carried the words: ‘An English market blend’. This evolved into a plain white label with a thin red line leading to the image of a red wax seal. John & Robert Harvey was an old, if not the oldest, whisky business in Glasgow, and dated back to 1770. In 1902, attracted by Harvey’s blending and exporting potential, the company – along with its closed Dundashill distillery – were acquired by DCL. Harvey’s Special continued to be produced well into the mid-20th century.